Written by  joseph 2018-06-22

What to do when the police apply to forfeit my car?

(0 votes)

Circumstances exist in the Road Safety Act which allow the police to apply to a court to forfeit your Car.

It's aimed at so called hoon drivers, but like all laws has a net that can ensnare many drivers who have at least three traffic offences in their history.

What can you do if it happens to you?

Well, you have two options. One is to demonstrate exceptional hardship to yourself, or to another person, if the car was to be forfeited.
The other option is to ask the court to impose an impoundment order instead of a forfeiture order.

No matter what the situation, the power to forfeit your car is a discretionary power.
However, if the forfeiture is refused, the decision maker must impose an impoundment order.


share on facebook share on linkedin share on pinterest share on youtube share on twitter share on tumblr share on soceity6

24 Hours-(03) 9008 6992

Call 03 9008 6992 for confidential criminal law advice from a Melbourne criminal lawyer.

contact us